*This position reports to the VP, Customer Service, Operations
Summary of the duties:
- The General Manager is responsible for management oversight of a 400+ person aerospace engine Maintenance, Repair, and Overhaul (MRO) facility as well as a 150+ person component repair facility.
- Responsible to manage all functions related to assembly and test of MRO engines and repair of their associated components.
- Accountable for on-time delivery, customer, turn-around-time (and the associated logistics processes), product quality, implementation of continuous improvement initiatives by staff and hourly employees (productivity improvement, cost reduction, new technology, etc.), cost targets, operating budget, and support to external and internal customers.
- Responsibilities also include maintaining a safe work environment and the management and development of staff and hourly employees within the organization. Responsible for coordinating Operations transformation initiatives, and implementation of “Lean Transformation” techniques and principles.
- Attract management and staffs: Attract, develop, and retain talent to ensure that people with the right skills and motivation are in the appropriate place.
- Engage management, staff and hourly employees: Create a work environment in which employees are compelled to commit to the organizational values and its bottom line. Through effective coaching and mentoring of a senior-level team, promotes team building, effective communication, and develop an organization responsive to program requirements and changes in a non-unionized workforce.
- Lead high performance work groups: Implement a culture within organizational groups that leads to greater excellence through continuous improvement.
- Facilitate and implement innovation: Foster a culture and develop approaches that generate innovative ideas, products, and services.
- Implement novel systems and processes that make effective use of available resources and seizes opportunities to drive competitiveness.
- Ensure that short, medium and long term plans are executed accurately, ensuring that the all facets of the change process are considered and effectively communicated to employees at all levels of the organization.
- Deliver customer value: Lead the implementation of new processes, activities, or culture that enhance the customer experience, and ensures that employees live a customer-focused culture every day.
- Drive performance: Achieve results personally and from work groups; set performance expectations and holds people accountable for achieving results.
- Act strategically: Make strategic recommendations respecting long term growth plans.
- Strategic leadership
- Building trust
- Attracting, selecting and developing talent
- Focus on results
- Communication / listening
- Business innovation
- Analytical capability
- Forward thinking
- Customer focus
- Business judgment
*Knowledge of Lean Transformation principles, and an understanding of assembly and test and machining processes are assets.
- Bachelor degree in Engineering or Business Management
- 10+ years of progressive management experience within the aerospace industry with 5 to 10 senior level direct reports.
- Demonstrated success in operations management, with excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Proven ability to lead projects within the following areas impacting operations: EH&S, HR, Quality, Finance, Ethics/Compliance, and Export Control.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- MBA or other advanced management degree.
- Experience with unionized and non-unionized work forces.
- Experience leading a team of five to 15 senior managers, and proven experience with coaching mentoring and facilitating change within a senior team.
- Experience within a General Manager role, and the ability to be promoted through demonstrated performance and proven ability.
Aviation Maintenance, Executive, Operations / Management