Sets up and operates conventional and numerical control (NC) machines and machining centers to machine metallic parts for the aerospace industry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and reference points on material or part as guides for subsequent machining.
2. Aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines such as mills, lathes, jig borers, and grinders.
3. Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angle of cut, or enters commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
4. Observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining, and adjusts machine controls or control media as required.
5. Operates machines on trial run to verify accuracy of machine settings or programmed control data. Verifies dimensions, clearances and alignment of assembly. Verifies conformance of finished part to specifications.
6. Machines complicated detail parts performing accuracy checks for quality after parts are machined. Lays out first piece for all machining operations.
7. Confers with engineers, production personnel, programmers, or others to resolve machining or assembly problems.
8. Lifts machined parts and positions and secures parts on surface plate or worktable.
9. Basic housekeeping to maintain and cleanup area.
– OSHA, Accident & Safety Training
– ISO or AS9100 Overview
– FAA Anti-Drug and Alcohol Misuse
– Paperwork Completion
– Fire Extinguisher
– Emergency Evacuation Training
– Export Compliance Training
To perform this job successfully, requires good communication skills. An individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED). Must pass Machinist Test.