Director, Canadian Operations – Airport/Airline Ground Services
Job Title: Director, Canadian Operations – Airport/Airline Ground Services
Job location: Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary (preferred); Any Canadian location at or very near an international airport (in Canada).
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Supporting and abiding by the company’s Mission, Values and Purpose and instilling these qualities in all employees at all stations;
- Promoting and adhering to our safety and respectful workplace culture and instilling this culture at all stations while ensuring safety and regulatory compliance with all provincial and federal rules and regulations;
- Strategic, big-picture thinking backed by an added focus on the tactical aspects of our airport and airline suite of services;
- Ensure business continuity and emergency response planning is practical and in place at all stations;
- Plan, organize, and direct all airline and airport services and developing balanced scorecards based on overall goals and objectives;
- Build and maintain positive and proactive customer relations with all stakeholders including station management, airline and airport customers, and relevant regulators;
- Using financial capabilities, drafting budgets, tracking individual station financials to targets and meeting financial goals;
- Liaise with the sales and marketing team in opportunities to develop and deliver on the strategic growth plan for the organization while developing and providing a clear, compelling and articulate explanation of our business’ added value service to prospective customers;
- Promote and maintain a disciplined and focused approach throughout the operations at all stations to ensure customer expectations are exceeded;
- Provide leadership, development, and effective performance management to station management ensuring practices and procedures are consistent and efficient;
- Ensure compliance with all airport and airline contracts specifications proactively through timely communication to station management;
- Partnering with support functions including Fluids Division, EHS, Human Resources, Engineering and Maintenance, Total Quality, and Finance and Procurement when situations occur;
- Perform/complete other additional projects, duties, and assignments as required and/or by request.
Interested candidates will have demonstrated expertise in the following required skills and experience:
- Must be authorized to work in Canada.
- Valid Canadian Driver’s License and driving record that meets Company insurance standards;
- Have currently or have the ability to obtain a Transport Canada Transportation Security Clearance (to allow access to restricted areas at all airports in Canada.
- 10+ years of airline operational experience including but not limited to customer service, maintenance, de-icing operations, fuelling operations, facility requirements and safety/regulatory requirements;
- Successful completion of post-secondary education in Aviation Management, Business Management or a related field of study or equivalent experience combined with education;
- Demonstrated experience with operations start-ups;
- Solid knowledge and understanding of federal regulatory and airline policies;
- Must have the ability to mentor and coach high-potential management level employees to accommodate future growth and expansion;
- Intermediate computer skills with working knowledge of Microsoft programs (Outlook, Word, and Excel);
- Strong understanding of accounting management principles;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to listen to others and value opinions, interpret information, promote and execute ideas, prepare reports and presentations, lead groups and provide a foundation of open communication;
- Able to lead a team in meeting goals, identifying areas of strength and following through to be sure that deadlines are met, and success/failures are identified following each project;
- Solid project management skills to include coordination of team, identifying and assessing project criteria, implementation of key tasks, communication and monitoring of progress and results, and managing to project completion with final results and outcomes being reported;
- Ability to communicate in both English and French is considered an asset;
Physical demands include but are not limited to:
- Standing, walking, sitting for extended periods, and using your hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls as well as reaching with your hands and arms;
- Speaking clearly and fluently in English;
- Ability to hear efficiently;
- Ability to climb 15-foot heights;
- Ability to clearly see close-up and at a distance with ability to differentiate colour; use peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus;
- Wearing of personal protective equipment when required and full mobility allowing for freedom of movement in high-risk environment.
The Employer offers the following benefits, some of which are subject to eligibility requirements:
- A rewarding and safe work environment (company provided PPE);
- On the job training, mentoring and coaching;
- Growth and advancement opportunities for high-potential employees;
- Employee and family assistance program;
- Competitive compensation and benefits package;
- Pension plan with employer contribution;
- Access to group rates and discounts.
Summary of the Employer for this position:
The Employer for this position is highly experienced in aircraft de-icing, environmental management, ground handling and pretty much any other aviation support service you can think of. They operate at over 50 airports in four countries. The organization is focused on growth of the company’s brands throughout Canada while continuing to maintain the highest level of customer service and employee satisfaction.
The Employer’s business is built on a foundation of excellence in customer service, innovation and continuous improvement and safety is at the forefront of everything we do. We provide a workplace where respect, integrity and a high degree of ethical behaviour is a minimum expectation.
The Employer is currently providing an opportunity for a business-minded and customer-focused problem solver who effectively implements strategic initiatives while maximizing productivity through growth, development and engagement of the station management team across Canada.
Summary of the right candidate:
The qualified candidate for this position will be able to connect quickly with others, enjoy variety in their work and are a natural relationship builder. As a big-picture thinker, the qualified candidate will thrive in and help contribute to a culture of innovation and excellence. The qualified candidate will be enthusiastic and bring positive energy into their interactions with others. A fluent and open communicator, the qualified candidate will have the ability to represent the company in a courteous and professional way and will thrive on maintaining good relations. The qualified candidate will have a sense of urgency and positive response to pressure, allowing him/her to work at a faster than average pace and are driven to get things done.
Operations / Management