Director of Safety and Compliance (Ground Handling Services) – Miami, FL
PLEASE NOTE: Please do not apply if you require visa sponsorship. This position requires the candidate be able to work in the U.S. WITHOUT the need for visa sponsorship!
This is a full time/direct hire position offering a competitive salary with full benefits package.
Title of position: Director of Safety & Compliance
Employment Location: Miami, FL
The Safety and Compliance Director is responsible for protecting company employees’ health and safety by ensuring the risks and exposures in the workplace are properly controlled. Through daily oversight and regular ramp safety observations, the Safety Director will ensure employees comply with all aspects of health and safety laws and the company’s Safety Management System (SMS) to prevent on-the-job injury (OJI), aircraft damage, and ground support equipment (GSE) related exposures. Provide Accountable Executive with initiatives to minimize the risks within the Company for all aspects of flight safety. The Director of Safety and Compliance reports to the CEO of company.
Essential Functions and Accountabilities:
- Responsibility for the development, implementation, and maintenance of the Quality Assurance Program.
- Responsibility for the development, implementation, and maintenance of the Safety Management System.
- Responsibility for ensuring the System Management System (SMS) is properly implemented in all areas of the organization and performing in accordance with specified requirements.
- Responsibility for policies, systems, programs, processes, procedures and/or plans of the administered and/or implemented of such throughout the organization.
- Responsibility that ground operations at all locations are supervised and controlled.
- Responsibility for assuring that all operations are conducted in accordance with applicable regulations and requirements of the customer airline(s).
- Responsibility for defining lines of accountability for operational safety, compliance, quality assurance and security throughout the organization, including direct accountability on the part of senior management.
- Responsibility for ensuring ground operations at all stations are provided with the necessary resources and conducted in accordance with standards of the Provider, applicable regulations, and requirements of the customer airline(s).
- Responsibility for review and assurance that outsourced service meets requirements of SMS.
- Manage the Company’s Safety Management System, including the identification of trends, hazard mitigation procedures, and oversight of safety programs.
- Directs entity’s safety programs to protect employees against harm, and maintain safe working conditions
- Serve as the leader and motivating voice for spreading the Company’s safety culture, programs, and protocols on a regular basis to all team members. Communication will include regular emails, calls, meetings, webinars, Safety Summit, etc.
- Conducts field safety inspections to ensure that the company is maintaining a safe work environment and that all employees are working in a safe manner (safe place / safe people)
- Reviews classes, employee MTRs and conducts OJT verification to ensure employee’s training courses are up to date
- Formulates and suggests work safety standards and enforces procedures. Risk prevention areas include hazardous materials exposure, accidents, fires, or other unsafe conditions
- Meets compliance and reporting requirements of federal or state regulations
- Advises management on best mitigations and monitors the corrective actions through minutes, discussions of the Issues module.
- Conduct safety and health walk-through inspections of all workplace facilities.
- Conduct accident/injury investigations and illness exposure monitoring.
- Monitor and investigate “near-miss” situations.
- Maintain required safety and health documents/files.
- Liaises with management with regards to the provision of the required training to individuals to ensure
- Manages compilation of material to be used for safety training syllabus design as driven by the identified business needs and regulatory requirement
- Lead projects and programs from conception to review
- Support the development of an assurance program consisting of site pre-work, site visits to all company stations, return visits for follow-up and verification and risk-based program development
- Provide safety training and support to both seasoned and new employees by actively participating in station safety briefings, safety meetings, and new employee orientation
- Inspect/observe under-wing operations to ensure good health and safety best practices are being followed
- Participate in the counseling of employees not following the safest or most efficient practices associated with the task at hand
- Cease operations when unsafe practices are observed
- Oversee and participate in the reporting and investigation of OJI accidents/injuries and aircraft/GSE damage
- Perform a final review of accident reporting to ensure all required information is provided and submitted promptly
- Inspect GSE for safety and efficiency on a random basis. Remove unsafe and defective GSE from service.
- Act as liaison with representatives of federal agencies, the airport, the customer, and other contractors as necessary
- Remain knowledgeable of current airline industry legislation and health and safety standards
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Excellent leadership and people management skills
- Interpersonal skills: Independence, decisiveness, and the ability to work accurately and independent of immediate support. Able to influence, engage and motivate at all levels
- Computer knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and web-based applications
- Ability to read and interpret documents
- Prepare and submit timely reports on results of audits, inspections, and observations
- Must have experience in business planning and knowledge of airline industry.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of safety, security, and compliance related regulatory requirements as they pertain to aviation/airport operations.
- May be required to travel on short notice to other company locations to perform compliance audits and other functions as assigned.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have 5-7 years prior aviation experience.
- Must have experience managing IATA and ISAGO audits
- Job Type: Full-time
Aviation Maintenance, Operations / Management