The employer is a leading global materials engineering group of companies engaged in the manufacturing of surfacing and brazing products, castings, and engineered components across aerospace, automotive, glass container, oil & gas, mining, energy and other industrial sectors.
Privately-owned since 1938, a Detroit-based medium sized industrial manufacturing company with several U.S. & European locations seeking candidates for General Manager of Aerobraze Division.
• Lead by the company Vision and Values and execute the Strategy by Developing an effective Sales plan, strive for Operational Excellence, and create a Performance Culture
• Participate in joint strategic planning and lead decentralized execution of an annual and long-term plan.
• Drive double digit profitable sales growth annually.
• The position forms part of the senior management team and will contribute to tactical and strategic decision making and process improvement initiatives.
• Publish monthly business reports including Sales, Operational (SCQD) and People updates
• Lead the Recruitment, Onboarding, Training and Engagement (ROTE) program for the facility. Measure and monitor performance and address performance issues appropriately
• Consider all stakeholders for the business in decision-making: Employees, Customers, Society and Financial Returns
• Take full responsibility for the delivery of product to customer expectations ensuring on time, cost effective delivery of a quality product.
• Remove waste and constraints from the production process to improve efficiencies and enhance productivity.
• Ensure the site operates in a safe and environmentally responsible manner ensuring compliance to, and reinforces processes in line with local and international Health & Safety standards.
• Develop and set the expectations of all employees on site through production management systems and key performance indicators.
• Comply with all on-site company financial aspects in line with company budgetary requirements.
• Justify and execute Capital Expenditures
• Proven track-record of P&L responsibility with a drive for consistently delivering results
• Experience in the Aerospace industry is highly favored. Specific experience in aircraft muffler or heat exchangers is an added benefit.
• Minimum 10 years’ experience in a leadership role, preferably in operations/engineering environment with a demonstrated track record for delivering results
• Demonstrated knowledge and leadership of sales, marketing, engineering, purchasing, financial planning, business planning, and operations
• Capable of planning and organizing work and processes; ability to self-direct multiple projects and meet deadlines
• Proven ability to recruit, train, and motivate a team in order to balance staffing strength with profitability and growth
• Customer service and quality orientation
• BS in engineering or equivalent
• Lean/Six Sigma Training. Minimum Green Belt preferred.
• MBA preferred
Skills, Characteristics, and Requirements
• Embody the traits of Integrity, Initiative, Persistence and Passion. Bring an entrepreneurial mindset as a business unit “owner”
• Comfortable in an environment of high velocity decision-making, facing the brutal facts, discipline, and healthy conflict.
• Interpersonal and supervisory skills, such as emotional competency, coaching, providing feedback, and evaluating performance of subordinates, and the ability to coach and motivate employees to achieve management expectations and assigned performance criteria
• Confident in face to face discussions with all levels of personnel, customers and/or suppliers.
• A charismatic and natural ‘hands-on’ attitude comfortable on a shop floor
• A working knowledge of Microsoft applications; Excel, Word, PowerPoint etc.
• Excellent negotiation and communication skills.
• A preference for empowering subordinates, delegating authority and monitoring results.
• Deals well with ambiguity; can effectively cope with change; can decide and act without having the total picture; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
• People assessment skills; is a good judge of talent and can articulate the strengths and limitations of people inside and outside the organization; can accurately project what people are likely to do across a variety of situations.
• Conflict resolution, negotiation, and customer relation skills
• Interpersonal skills to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
• Ability to motivate staff through proper direction and mentoring to build a culture focused on setting and achieving appropriate stretch goals
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills to simply and with brevity effectively provide written and verbal instructions and compile and present business reports/correspondence