Senior Airport Planner
Position Description Summary:
The Sr. Planner is relied upon by the Chief Airports Engineer and the Airside Planning Section as an Aviation/Airport Planning subject matter expert. The Sr. Planner will advise the group in the application of, implementation of, and compliance with FAA design standards, policies, and requirements. He or she will also recommend and develop (or direct the development of) studies, assessments, site analyses, concept designs, project definition booklets and presentations.
Essential Job Duties:
• Schedule, document and track airport planning and engineering activities with consultant teams, airlines, airfield operations, facilities maintenance and others.
• Perform high-level review of land areas for future use planning and analyses.
• Prepare functional use plans for airports and airport holdings.
• Develop Airport Layout Plan.
• Develop and/or review airfield geometric layout studies.
• Evaluate aircraft gate operations, ramp operations, parking positions and holding positions.
• Prepare and track LAWA Capital Improvement Project (CIP) requests and Federal Aviation
• Administration Airport Capital Improvement Project (ACIP) requests.
• Represent LAWA’s interests with regulatory authorities and stakeholders, such as Federal Aviation Administration, airlines, tenants and consortiums.
• Use software and equipment to create reports, maps, schedules, estimates, data collection, documents and agreements as needed.
• Prepare, distribute and collect review comments on documents such as planning and engineering studies, reports and presentations.
• Remain current with Aviation Industry best practices and report/train on such practices.
• Read and interpret plans and review documents for adherence with standards.
• Perform field verification, documentation and inventory of striping, pavement, lighting or other airfield improvements.
• Complete other responsibilities and assist as assigned to support the Section.
• Microsoft Office required
• Excellent skill in using Excel as analytical tool for data analysis and chart preparation is required
• Proficiency in Power Point is highly desirable
• Proficiency in Project is highly desirable
• Path Planner/Aero Turn is desirable.
Professional Experience Level/Other Qualifications:
• Ten to 15 years of experience with five to ten years directly supporting airport planning for airside taxiways, apron/gates and aircraft parking.
• Knowledge of FAA guidance documents and the aviation industry
• Understanding of airport design standards (e.g. Part 77 Imaginary Surfaces, TERPS, Runway
• Protection Zones, etc.)
• Ability to communicate progress to both technical- and management-level personnel
• Ability work with others, a self-starter with results-driven focus
• Capability to assume additional responsibilities
• Demonstrated time management skills and workload prioritization
• Proven accuracy, reliability and completeness in job accomplishment
• Demonstrated success on the job, as evidenced by satisfactory performance, acceptance of responsibility and growth in previous position
• Effective oral and written communication skills, with an ability to communicate complex issues to a non-technical audience
• Ability to make presentations and effectively lead consensus building efforts
• Must be proactive, willing to take on new challenges and able to operate in a highly matrixed environment
• Demonstrated ability to deliver products with extremely tight business deadlines
• BS/BA in related field (Civil Engineering, Architectural Engineering, Planning, Airport/Aviation Management etc.)
• State of California Professional Engineer’s license is desirable.
• May assume other duties as required/needed
• May work overtime
• Maybe required to work various shifts as needed